I finally (make that taking a looooooooong time) have cut you off of my floor loom. You started out with such promise and hope. And we struggled. We fretted. We fought with nature. We battled on and on. And we won … well … sort of in the end.
This all began in the spring of 2011. I found a draft I wanted to do in Helene Bress’ The Coverlet Book. It was OV69. She says of it when she found it, “It’s beautiful – breathtakingly beautiful! The ground is a fine, deep blue cotton, closely woven. A bright coral red pattern weft floats in and out of this blue ground creating a simple, but exquisite, pattern.”
So I got it warped and started weaving furiously as I knew I would be having surgery and would not be able to for a time afterwards. I didn’t get it done. But it was looking good on the loom. Then the worst thing happened – my friction brake broke. (this is an old Allen Folding Loom) We tried a multitude of ideas to fix it. Searched the web. Tried more ideas. Nothing held a tight tension. Frustration mounted. Finally managed a live weight brake that did hold good … well … enough to finish the warp. Alas because it wasn’t as tight of tension as before, I had to change how I wove it. So instead of two thread pattern shots, I had to go down to one to keep a descent shape to the design.
So here we are on the loom. I actually remembered to take a picture before taking it off. It is at the time of one thread pattern weft for every shot though, so not as wonderful looking as previously.
The colors and saturation of the red on top of the blue was beautiful (to this gal anyways). I loved the way it was looking.
Now the blue just becomes too dominate as the ground with only one thread in the pattern weft but all in all it is still nice too look at. Did you notice the mistake here? Oh, I’m sorry, this wasn’t a mistake. I actually meant to reverse at that very moment in the pattern and end up with this lovely long center pattern. And if you believe that I have a bridge for sale. Alas if you are going to discover a major error in your treadling, (after you cut the fabric off the loom no less) it couldn’t come more judiciously. I actually love this section and cut it out so that it looks like it was done on purpose for a table scarf.
Now I know that the first two pictures were taken with the side I liked best in the moment. But this is the side that the book has as the top. It did grow on me and you can see how this has such a distinct different look to each side which are opposites of each other.
So a nice section of it made it to the dining room table. I even have it the side up that the book has as the top. By this time it had grown on me. I was happy, despite all the trouble I had with this warp, that I did end up with a nice piece this long to use this way and then other parts that I cut up for other uses as well.
So don’t give up on that horrid warp, or loom that is driving you bonkers. You may not end up with what you wanted in the beginning but you will learn and have something to show for it in the end.