My husband got me into this. Yes, I blame him for the miserable time I had with this warp and weaving. He made a deal with a gal at work who wanted a shawl like the pillow cover I had done for our bed. So here I was needing to do it. The warp turned out to be the warp from a not so good place. Continual problems. But after much time and fiddling and hopefully learning we managed to weave off a shawl.
It is made with 16/2 cotton warp and plain weave weft and an 8/2 pattern weft. Lovely thread that a bit of ended up in the garbage. Sighhhhhhhh…….
The pattern is a name draft of the lady’s two daughters names. I enjoy the process of charting out name draft patterns. It is done in overshot weaving. Each shaft on the loom is assigned letters of the alphabet and you then chart the pattern according to what you want to say. Then of course you have to add a few shafts in to keep it in proper overshot patterning. Then you thread the loom according to your chart and you have an original overshot pattern that is personal. Did that make a ton of sense? I know it didn’t if you don’t know much about overshot to start with, but that is it in a nutshell. I love doing name drafts but some day I am going to work one out and get it squared. Haven’t yet. But as it isn’t a pattern people would recognize – who knows if it is correct or not. It actually looks pretty good.
To add to the time involved in making this, not only did I weave it and hand hem both ends but she also wanted a beaded edge. I had some green beads that worked well, but I ran out and couldn’t match the beads so I had to get more for the other end and they don’t quite match but are so close that I don’t think too many will notice if they didn’t already know they were different. Or read here that they are different. Beads do help shawls hang nicely with that little bit of added weight.
So all in all this is my first handwoven project that I got paid for. Not near what it was worth but more than I had goods in it. And that money feels good.