Sewing and Dyeing

This will be my last Art Camp post. I do have my two sewn pieces that I haven’t written about yet. Though there are a few more not exciting things, I do want to add these two to my record.

Saturday towards the end of the day I decided to try and sew a piece as there was a pattern in Connie’s samples that I liked. So to make it easier on myself I snapped a couple pictures with my phone, went over and sat down, and started to sew. I’m glad now I have the sample to compare what I ended up doing.

IMG_2690

Horses teeth I believe was its name

IMG_2689

Sample sewing

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So with a bit of a start in class and then working all evening after supper on my sewing, I had it ready to drop in the indigo dye bath. The picture below is of the actual sewing done but still working on drawing up all the gathers as tightly as possible. Wish I did have a picture of the tiny little package it became. But alas and alack.

IMG_2715

Gathering up all those tiny gathers

Now what I had done with this piece is make tiny little stitches on the first row. Guess I’m used to that. Connie saw it and was amazed at my stitches but said it really needed to be bigger. So we decided that I would double the stitches on each row. So I had two rows together of the tiny stitches and then twice as large, then space, and doubled the size again. Hmmm… I wasn’t liking these bigger stitches as well though it was a lot faster. So I did the 3rd and 4th rows the same size.  After it was gathered up into almost a tiny ball it went into the indigo the next morning. And then again, and again, and again, and who knows in the end how many times but it was dunked all day long. So by the end of class, I was eager to unwrap it. Wow! I loved it and Connie did as well. That always makes you feel better about a piece when the teacher likes it. Thanks to Susan Antrican who sent me this picture as it is better than any I could get.

IMG_4829

My Blue Piece

I then sewed another piece to try some over-dying of osage orange with the indigo to get a green. I made up a pattern on the top that sort of copied what I’d seen another classmate do. Then tried another of Connie’s patterns that I didn’t get a picture of but I can assure you I did the stitches way too small and it would have been much better larger. Then in the middle I folded it over and did a very loose, sort of leaf pattern with big stitches. Now I wish I had taken more care in that part but will save it to try again. Will make the idea work better next time.

IMG_2720

Silk Noil sewn and ready for dye bath

So when done I let it sit in the bran/water bath a bit and then let it down into the osage orange bath. Since I hate the color yellow, this was hard to do and look at, but I knew the end product would be much the better for it. There’s a lesson there for life. So anyway, it came out of the osage orange and went into the indigo bath and came out pretty good. I do wish I had dunked it one more time in the indigo as I did love the wet color better than the dry color but all in all it has a very earthy look and feel.

IMG_6355

My Green Piece

Now to continue my fun at home. Getting ready to do another sewn pattern and see what I can get.

 

Advertisements
Categories: dyeing, Fiber Arts | Tags: , , , | Leave a comment

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: