A Challenge Made, A Gauntlet Picked Up

So I have written a bit lately about CHT Art Camp. Between here with my dyeing adventure and for the CHT Newsletter. You’d think I would be tired of writing about it by now but I have continued on the journey that began with a challenge that was given to me at camp and well – what is one to do but take it up and make it happen?

Sunday evening I was sitting with some gals from my dyeing class and we were chatting and I was making little squares with my Zoom Loom.  Well, despite feeling quite brain dead, I was mesmerized by a thought that one gal had about the Zoom Loom. Could you weave two squares together and then not need to connect them afterwards? Somehow have one completed square beside the loom and weave in the new one to it?

IMG_7138

Two squares woven together

It doesn’t matter how brain dead one may feel, one must take up a challenge and see if it could be done. And guess what? I managed it. Well, barely that evening.

The idea was to see it with two different color of squares, which would be ideal, one could weave it and then see how it went together. Alas I only had the one yarn with me to try, so I made two squares with different patterns to differentiate them.

I wove one and then had a time to get brain cells to work together, but I decided to cut enough yarn for a second square and then I decided to cut that in half so that I wasn’t weaving it all through the connections. I laid in the first layer. Then I wove into the finished one on the second layer. When I got to the end of the yarn I made a russian join with the second piece of yarn and then laid in the third layer. Then came the harder bit. I was so brain dead I knew I had a problem but couldn’t figure it out. I have made so many of these squares I could do it in my sleep but not this evening. I had to get out the booklet and figure out what I was suppose to be doing. I finally found my silly problem and got back at it. So with the fourth layer you weave the actual square but also making sure to catch the loop to the first one as well.

I made it work! I was happy, though it did look a bit sad, it had worked.

IMG_7071

After a couple of dips

I then got home and decided to keep working on the idea so wove five squares together. The middle one was a pattern square and the two on each side were just done plain weave. And not leaving well enough alone, I decided it was time to try dyeing at home with the indigo I had brought home with me from Art Camp.

So here is my home setup. I didn’t think to take pictures at first so none of that first dip. I was afraid at first that it wasn’t going to take but after a few it kept getting darker and was working. Adding the color remover worked to get that look I was looking for in the solution.

So taking a clue from camp I spent the day walking by and lowering it into the dye, walk away, taking it out of the dye, finding a way to hang it up to oxidize, walk away, and repeat. I actually was even having fun getting pictures when it dawned on me to take them.

IMG_7085

Draped more so that the bottom can drip.

I must say that it was fun and these five squares were connected without seaming. I did learn in doing the five that it matters which ends you connect with (accidentally did that correct at camp.) And that you want to pick up the second loop first in each set. So if I do this again, it will come out even better. Right? Always looking to improve.

This was ever so exciting to see and do. So simple. So amazing. Even seeing that bit of yellow turn to blue. I debated still going further with the dye to get it even darker but it is quite dark on its own so think this is it for this piece.

So here is a closeup of one of the connections woven together. Do we really like closeups of our work where it is shown to us at 5 times larger than it really is? Guess what? I just noticed that I missed a loop. Or did I catch the wrong bit at the first? Looks like there could be three there. Or … hmm…. guess there is room to still improve and make this work better.

connection

Where two come together in the weaving.

Advertisements
Categories: dyeing | Tags: , , , , | 3 Comments

Post navigation

3 thoughts on “A Challenge Made, A Gauntlet Picked Up

  1. I am so excited to try this myself. Who’d have thought! I certainly didn’t. Hate the seams and other ways of joining so I have to try this. Thanks a million to you and the brainy gal at CHT Art Camp.
    Diane

    Like

  2. I also hate seaming and trying to tie in all those ends. This is a wonderful idea that I need to explore. Thank you for sharing

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: