So I did try again with the Jacob’s Ladder fiber swatches. I was hunting the container with finished items for the sale (and no it hasn’t been found yet) but I did find the big bag of matting left over from framing prints while we were in England. I grabbed some bits out of it and added them to the one table I have out and it became a bit more crowded. Then I was able to get to one cabinet that had some of my handwoven scraps and pieces in it and grabbed them. On with the idea.
So I decided that I would cut the matting into 3 inch squares. First part done, looking good except for one bit of miss-cutting but not very noticeable. Also cut three ribbons double the length of the cards and a bit.
I next went through fiber pieces and cut out 2 1/2 inch squares. It is nice to verify that it is good I have a hard time throwing small pieces away of my handwoven. In fact, I had a couple pieces not much bigger than what I needed. Now I may have done overkill but I ironed on backing to the swatches then glued that to card that I had that was punched out and the right size. Actually they were the right size as I planned this to match them. Then I glued that to the matting.
Next came the trouble of seeing if I could interpret the running of the ribbons between the cards and get it all correct. I looked at more pictures and figured it out a lot easier than the book was trying to tell me to do it. The book always wanted the new card to be laying on the table flat so the ribbons had to be manipulated carefully to get in the right place and also you had to play with the spacing. I discovered though that if you just stack them as you put it together, it works much better for this brain. So off we went.
First, I figured out where the three ribbons would go and drew lines to help be sure and get them as closely lined up evenly as this kid could do it. The first card is always the easiest. Now you would glue on top of this the back card to this set. Alas what dogged me on this whole project was getting the two cards glued together. I tried different glues and spent way too long holding the pieces together by finger point and they just didn’t want to stick together easily. Not sure if it was too much already glued to one side so it was curved too much or just haven’t found the right glue, but we persevered.
Now here comes the trick to making sure it goes together correctly. Don’t ask me to explain it but if I didn’t do it, well all went cattywumpus and had to be taken apart. Take this first set and turn it around 180° so that the white ribbon is running left and the black ribbons are running right. Or better the middle ribbon is running left and the outside ribbons are running right. Then fold the ribbons over the finished block.
Now you want to add the next card facing down on top of the ribbons and then bring them back over it and glue the ribbons across it.
Now take the card that goes with this one and glue the two together. Drive yourself crazy while trying to accomplish it, and eventually it does stay together at all corners. The main problem here is that I could easily set something heavy on top of these till they dry but alas with the swatches on them the corners do not get pressed together. I have only found fingers and time can get them together.
I continued on with this for all six sets. Alas though being me I did face troubles on set number four when I didn’t put the board in correctly and had to take it apart with glue everywhere. Sometimes you just want to kick yourself.
When I got to the end I did make loops on all three ribbons which probably was crazy. I did think that they might reach around and tie of a sort and hold it all together but that was not to be. But I did finish it. I wish it was a bit more perfect but alas and alack it was I making it.
And there is a memory in every swatch on it. One of my very first handwovens made on a table loom before I ever had a floor loom. My third try at log cabin and it came out so beautifully 3D. There are three there with the same warp yet so different. Two are actually the same cloth but the front and back are totally different textures (can’t really tell in the pictures though). I so think it a great pattern for towels but have yet to do it perfectly enough to venture out of this house. I guess you can probably guess I love Shadow Weave again with its play of light and dark and 3D-ishness. As well as I do love overshot and could remember two achievements there one for my husband who had worked on B-52s in the Air Force and one that is a copy of an 1830s coverlet. But then my spinning is not left out as my first handspun cotton also get to shine in a swatch. Then there is the red warp for a swatch swap that I still don’t like and the one for CHT conference towel swap that although somewhat interesting, I really don’t care for either.
So here it is my Fabric Swatch Jacob’s Ladder.
Yes, it does work and I so love playing with it.